A classic flavour at Christmas, but not the traditional suet recipe.
- 3 apples, grated (leave the peel on)
- 2 oranges, zest and juice
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped apricots or prunes
- 1/2 cup brandy or amaretto
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon EACH of cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup butter (optional)
Simmer for about 30 minutes. When you drag a spoon across the bottom of the pot, the juice in the bottom should hesitate to fill in behind it. When this happens it is thick enough, and will continue to thicken as it cools.
If I am using this in tarts, I add a small dab of butter to the mincemeat in each tart.
Most frequently, however, I use this in my oat porridge in the morning as a way to jumpstart December days!
Juice still thin