These cardamom buns make a delightful weekend breakfast, or coffee treat. They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, infused with the flavour and aroma of cardamom.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp quick acting yeast
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 6 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 egg plus 1 Tbsp. water
- raw or demerara sugar for sprinkling
Step 1: Two options
a) Bread machine:
Our house is quite cool in winter, so I use my bread machine to make the dough. Add ingredients in this order: milk, butter, salt, sugar, flour, cardamom and yeast. Complete dough cycle.
b) Hand mixed:
- Warm the milk until it feels the same temperature as your wrist. Sprinkle the yeast over top.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar and cardamom and mix into the milk. Add the flour and salt.
- Knead the dough (by hand or mixer) until soft and stretchy. Place in an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in size.
Step 2: Shaping
- Combine the soft butter, brown sugar and cardamom for the filling.
- Roll the dough out to a 20×14 inch rectangle. Spread the filling over the top.
- Fold the the left third of the dough over the middle, and then the right side of the dough over the middle. (You will have three equal layers of dough.)
- Cut the dough into 12 strips, choosing the direction that leaves the folded sides intact.
- Cut each strip up the middle, leaving a one inch base still joined at one end.
- For each piece, twist the two strips around each other and form a ring, tucking one end in the base, and one though the middle of the circle.
- Repeat with the other eleven strips.
- Place the buns on two parchment-covered baking sheet. They will all fit on one sheet, but they will not bake well if they are crowded.
- Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush each bun with the egg-wash and sprinkle the demerara sugar over each one for added crunch. You will have leftover egg wash.
- Bake for about 12 minutes. They will be a nice brown on the top, and a little brown underneath.