This is a light, citrusy chiffon type cake. It is made with basic ingredients, plus a lemon and an orange.
I got mini bundt pans over the Christmas holidays, so will be trying a few recipes to see how they fare as “mini” cakes. This one is simple, fragrant, light and delicious. It can also be made in a large bundt pan or angel food cake tin. It is good with just a dusting of powdered sugar, but is also a beautiful base for berries and whipping cream.
What’s in it:
•150 grams sugar
•the zest of 1 lemon
•the zest of 1 orange
•50 grams lemon juice
•100 grams orange juice
•80 grams olive oil
•1 tsp vanilla extract
•200 grams flour
•8 grams baking powder (2 tsp.)
•Powder sugar to dust and finish
- Butter and flour your pans, and set oven to 325 degrees F.
- Rub the zest into the sugar with your fingers until the sugar is sunshine yellow! (This infuses the sugar with the oils from the zest for better distribution in the cake. It also smells fantastic.)
- Separate the eggs
- Mix the yolks in with the sugar and zest
- Add the juices, oil and vanilla to the yolk mixture
- Add the flour and baking powder to the yolk mixture
- Beat egg whites till stiff
- Fold the egg whites into the batter. Do not overmix or you will knock the air out.
- Pour into floured and buttered pans. Bake at 335 till done, about 25 minutes for mini bundt pans. For large bundt pans, bake for about 50 minutes.
- Let cook in pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a rack. Dust with powdered sugar.